Monday, February 13, 2012

The importance of having your mezuzahs checked



I was checking this mehudar mezuzah, which I found to be very problematic. Through time part of the ink (dio) on the mezuzah had faded and wore away. In this picture the Final mem turned into a samech! My Halacha Posek, ruled that this mezuzah is not allowed to be fixed (since it now is considered a samech and not a final mem),however some poskim are lenient to allow this letter to be fixed (I will not explain here the reason behind the debate), all agree that it is not proper the way it is.
I will note that this mezuzah was on a bedroom of a person who was sick. So regardless of how much money your mezuzah cost you or who wrote it, it is important to have it checked once every 3 and a half years by an expert Magiah (Sofer Sta"m examiner), as prescribed in the Shulchan Aruch (code of Jewish law), (some check every 12 months).
Many check their mezuzahs when one is sick.

No comments: